Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Oh, Brother...

This page kinda makes me feel like I am writing for a news paper. That maybe a scary thought since I have no grammar skills! My English teachers would not be proud! I am still not entirely sure that I know where a comma is supposed to go! So bear with me...

I am a tad nervous. My brother has invited me to his home for thanksgiving dinner. That may not seem weird for most families, siblings have siblings over for the holidays, but it is very odd for mine. When my brother and I were young, we fought constantly. I mean in a very hateful manner. My stepfather would egg on my brother, calling me names and instigating fights. I don't bring this up because I want to share my abusive childhood, but because it has a huge effect on our relationship now. When we started high school, I moved with my father, and my brother moved with Mom and new step dad to California. We never had a chance to go through the older years where you start to learn to respect each other.

A few years ago he did apologize for what he put me through, and commended me for how I turned out despite him. But for some odd reason I still feel inferior! Makes no sense considering he is not the model of success one should look up to. He was always the "cool" older brother, which really just meant he made really bad decisions and got away with most of them. All of my friends hung out with me just for a chance to meet him! Needless to say, he still makes me nervous!

I am not sure if I can keep my weight loss attempts away from him this holiday. I have been a vegetarian for 13 year and still get flack for that after all these years! Call me weak, but I for sure don't want him to pick on me for it! I still feel like that little kid sister that always annoyed him. Now is the time when we are supposed to atleast be friends. Wish me luck on this adventure!

I hope you all have an amazing jerk-free-turkey day!And if you think about, less points if you stay away from that poor dead turkey! Stay focused and keep the weight off, like I plan to! I will be sure to let you know how it goes!


P.S.If by chance you are by chance reading these blogs, click the follow button. It would be nice to see if people are reading...a bit of encouragement! That goes for any persons blog you read and enjoy, give them some love!

1 comment:

Nicole Ladonne Blair said...

Don't worry about keeping your weight loss attempts from him! I was nervous about sharing with my family too, but I bet he'll be impressed, and maybe even proud of you for taking care of yourself! You're doing it for you, you should be proud enough to share it :)
Good luck!!!

-Fellow vegetarian and new ww member- Nicole